Tuesday, September 12, 2017

How to Write a Blog Post

It occurred to me today, while trying to begin a post, that some of you might be interested in (or at least entertained by) a peek inside the creative process for us bloggers. Now, I can't claim to know how it works for everyone, but here's a general description of my blogging process.

1. Get an idea for a post.

2. Pour a cup of coffee with pumpkin spice creamer, because hey, 'tis the season.

3. Retrieve desk chair (which is actually a kitchen chair, to be fair) from kitchen where it was used for dinner last night.

4. Sit down and open computer. Close 5 superfluous tabs, then open "new post."

5. Begin writing.

6. Toddler climbs milk crates that serve as a handy bookshelf/4th desk leg and attempts to climb over your right arm. Place toddler in lap and attempt to type around toddler.

7. Toddler climbs down on your left side, walks around the back of your chair, and climbs the milk crates on your right again, pushing her way onto your lap.

8. Repeat step 7 multiple times, with spurts of typing with only your right hand as you attempt to hold toddler with your left.

9. Realize toddler just left with the Benadryl cream and toddler toothpaste that were sitting on your desk, and that this could have consequences.

10. Debate if consequences are worth 15 minutes of peace to finish your blog post.

11. Sigh and go retrieve glorious tubes of fun from toddler.

12. Place tubes on top of tall dresser. (Does my husband seriously wonder why it's always so cluttered up there?)

13. Deal with screaming, angry toddler climbing in your lap to attempt to regain her tubes of delight.

14. Make mental note that toddler needs her fingernails clipped.

15. Toddler eventually realizes you don't have tubes anymore and leaves.

16. Worry about what toddler is getting into now.

17. If you're lucky, finish blog post. If not, wrestle all day long with post, kids, and mommy guilt at the fact that you haven't accomplished a bit of housework and your older children are due home in less than an hour.

*Bonus: Attempt to add photos to your post, only to realize that Blogger apparently isn't feeling it today. (So if this post lacks visual interest, sorry about that.)

There are many fun variations to this game, such as the toddler screaming and tugging on your skirt until you go with her and figure out what she wants, or both toddlers being awake and attempting to sit on your lap at the same time--perhaps with a bonus round of trying to shove each other off. But this has been a basic (and hopefully amusing) look at the creative process at work.

Until next time!

4 comments:

  1. Lmao, always amusing Cass. And I thought I had it bad with trying to take a shower with a husband sticking his head in, puppy trying to climb in, oldest child yelling about how everybody is getting on HER nerves, and a youngest thinking I need ALL the bath toys in with me...you know to play with my feet as I try to wash my hair...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's just trying to share, Mom! Kids are great, aren't they? Never a dull moment! :D

      Delete
  2. LOL, This really does sound like my days! I have a ton of "ideas"...I'll get to post them, one day.
    I really enjoy your blog! I like real people who have real lives...
    Happy Blogging and God Bless

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Trema! I have to say, I've really been enjoying yours as well. :) Even if we do disagree on the best kind of coffee and creamer, lol.

    ReplyDelete