Monday, August 28, 2017

Weekend Excitement

Well, it's been a busy weekend at the Mosher house, but now it's Monday. . . and it's still busy! Lol. I'd venture a guess that with all the children and the husband at home, you can pretty much count on not hearing from ICHM over the weekends.

Buttercream transfer Hylian shield.
Saturday, we did our grocery shopping (and a little window shopping, which is always fun) and celebrated our freshly-minted 12 year old's birthday with his choice of dinner (burgers, corn, and potato salad) and cake and ice cream. For the cake, I tried out a new-to-me technique I've been considering for a while--buttercream transfer. If you haven't heard of it, I'll spare you the tutorial (mostly because I was in a hurry and didn't take photos during the process), but if you Google it, you'll find lots of information. I learned a couple things I could have done differently, but for the most part, I was really pleased with how it came out. And so was he, which is the main thing. ☺ This poor kid. It seems like his birthday cakes never come out quite right. He's a huge Legend of Zelda fan. Last year, I attempted a 3D Triforce for him. . . not my best work.
The offending Triforce cake.

It would be comical if it wasn't just so darn sad. I mean look at this thing. The gold sugar sparkles refused to stick to the icing properly, and I really should have cut my sheet cake in the opposite direction to make the layers. . . oh well. Water under the bridge, as they say. And if I'm ever crazy enough to do that again, at least I learned a few things to help the project along. Poor kid. I always seem to be busy, stressed, and broke for his birthday. That's what he gets for being born right at back-to-school time. 😜 

Today, so far, it's been sports physicals (late, oops) for 2 of the kiddos, a little bit of laundry, and a bunch of sorting out chores and schedules that I hope will make this place run a little smoother. Dad decided last night after dinner to assign two of the kids to clear the table and wash the dishes, and I was inspired. I have six kids around here, y'all--count them, 6--who are darn well old enough to help out with the chores. Although last night when I ventured into the kitchen and saw this, I sort of questioned that premise. 😆
What happens when you have 2 12 year old boys do the dishes.
So starting tonight, we're going to be running some new chore and bath routines, and if they actually work, I might share them with you guys. But for now, it's on to the next thing on today's to-dos, and I'll see you again tomorrow!

3 comments:

  1. The key to chores being done well by kids, is to make sure they understand exactly what is expected as an end result And how to do it properly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, Keon does the same damn thing. But honestly, I don't wanna discourage the help so I usually let it slide.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cassi, this made me think of the ONE and only time I did something like that. Age 8 or 9, it was my job to do dinner dishes for out family of 8. I wanted to hurry and get done, so I rushed through and left a similar picture in the kitchen. My father discovered my mess, and in his infinite wisdom (?), got out every dish, pot, pan in the house. I had to wash, hand dry and get them ready to put into the cabinets... You do not forget that kind of lesson

    ReplyDelete